InSanity~Normalize, Don't Stigmatize Mentall Illness.

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Sutter Buttes, Sundays in My City, Cow Pelvis

It's Sunday, so I'm once again thanking UnknownMami for hostessing an extravagant worldwide
tour of bloggers' hometowns.
                                            Welcome! Unknown Mami

Today, we visit a stretch of land in the Sacramento Valley, the Sutter Buttes. This area has been private property since before CA became a state. John Sutter of Gold Rush fame initially claimed it, until it was given to a group that took Sutter to court over it. (Me thinks Sutter was a bit greedy.) Today, ranchers own the property. So we'll break through a few fences and trespass. Ssh, come on....
Oops, is this the last trespasser? Good thing I paid for a guided tour.
Can you guess what this skeleton remnant is?
                                            Nope. Good try, though. Actually, it's a cow pelvis.
The Sutter Buttes formed from volcanoes that erupted over a million years ago.

It's a gorgeous 75 square mile patch of land, and I'm still a tad sore from hiking just a few of those miles.

We were bird-watching, actually, though I have no photos of birds for you. I saw some from afar, through binoculars: quails, robins, a red tail hawk that wouldn't budge from atop a tree a mile away...





So I came back home to take some photos of birds in Chico for you. The seagull in flight was kind enough to fly on command for me.

Have a peaceful, safe and scenic new week.

32 comments:

  1. Nice tour! I hate to say this but that bone is pretty. It's incredibly white. If you find a bone around here it is gray. I like the tree and the grass a lot. I like the rugged terrain as well but had rather look at your pictures of it than have to hike to see it. Thank you for doing that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a nice hike. Glad you didn't have to break the law to see the place :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely wouldn't have guessed a pelvis. Maybe the butt.

    Looks like some pretty scenery!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No birds, but you got cow pelvis. What a day!

    I noticed that you stopped by today, but YESTERDAY I featured your requested When Harry Met Sally footage. Just FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cow pelvis - would've never guessed.
    Beautiful area. Like some of the places blogger Patrick Tillett goes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is a cow pelvis evidence that cowboys once roamed there? It looks like the perfect setting for a John Ford Western... apart from the birds. The only birds you see in Westerns are buzzards!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely views there. I especially like the last one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That middle shot reminds me of New Mexico. I miss NM and ABQ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pics. Beautiful countryside, but like most of California it could use some rain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cow pelvis was my third guess, right after coyote butt and horse knee

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a gorgeous piece of property. I would love to look for arrowheads on it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty landscape.
    What do you suppose happened to the rest of the cow skeleton?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a certain hate for seagulls, ever since one swooped down on me while I was walking down Pier 39 and knocked my calamari out of my hand and littering the ground with it. Bastards! Rats with wings I tells ya. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tour! It looks like such a beautiful area. And it looks like you have those seagulls well-trained ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've driven around the Sutter Buttes a few times. It changes greatly depending on the season, but it is always scenic. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello, Cow Pelvis! OOh. first time I am seeing one, Robyn!

    The photo of the birds is so beautiful. Good seagull!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everybody knows the pelvis is the best part of the cow. What a waste of completely good pelvis.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The soreness will go away... eventually, but the photos will last a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Alex, yes, very similar. His photos are spectacular, though. Mine aren't.

    Stephen, it's really scary and getting scarier - that we've had no rain.

    PatHatt, so close you were.

    Herman, how rude. I'd have been crying to see my calamari land on the ground.

    Vidya, it was a first for me too.

    BnB, and to think there's a cow walking around without her pelvis.

    MsA, I love your philosophy.Thanks.

    Thank you, friends.
    Be well.
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  20. Greedy? When it comes to gold? Say it ain't so!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow this looks like an amazing place to hike and explore. May have to add it to my hiking Bucket List.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this part of the country. Thanks for taking us along. You say "Cow Pelvis" to me and I'll go anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That cow pelvis looks like it was picked pretty clean and sun bleached too.
    That looks like you had a pretty rough hike.

    ReplyDelete
  24. 75 square miles...is that multiple owners or one owner??? It looks like a great place to hike.

    I would of never guessed that was a cow pelvis.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That looks like a very serene plot of land! A perfect place to bird watch and hike.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cheryl, good question. There are a number of owners. I'm not sure how many.

    Be well.
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  27. such a beautiful countryside- i love your photos!

    big hugs! xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful photos! Though the cow pelvis was kinda sad.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

  29. Nice pictures.

    I do my own weekly spread, which I call Sunday Safari. It's about the only thing that takes me away from my computer. Argh.

    ReplyDelete